History of the Castle Horšovský Týn
A long time ago over the ford across the river Radbuza, there used to be Bishops' Castle. However, in 1547, the great fire ruined the castle which the has been turned into a Rennaisance pearl.
In nearby Horšov, a fortified Episcopal court used to stand there in the 12th century. However, in the 13th century, it didn’t correspond to then medieval fortification thus a fortified early gothic castle of the castell type was built by one of the Prague bishops on a rocky spur near a merchant settlement called Týn (later named as Horšovský). The remains of the original castle are visible in the interiors (e.g. the early gothic chapel is the most valuable room). During the Hussite wars in 15th century the bishop’s castle was twice besieged but it has never been conquered, and after that the castle was given to feudal lords, (the first was Zdeněk of Drštka, a burgrave) by Sigismund of Luxemburg. The House of Ronšperk (Ronsberg) – the lords from nearby Poběžovice - came to this place as one of the first noble families. By 1535, this manor was gained by an important Czech noble family, the Lords of Lobkowicz.
The first was John the Younger of Lobkowicz, who was highest chamberlain of king Ferdinand I. In 1547, a great fire arose in the town of Horšovský Týn, reached the castle as well and it was nearly destroyed by it. Three years later, John the Younger had this half-damaged castle rebuilt in the new and modern style of that time, the Renaissance. The heir of John the Younger, William, was sentenced to death and his property was confiscated due to his participation in the uprising of the estates in Prague in 1618.
In 1623, the manor was cheaply bought by a steyerian count Maxmillian of Trauttmansdorff – an imperial diplomat. The House of Trauttmansdorff owned the castle for more than 300 years till 1945. In this year, Edward Beneš’s presidential decrees put the castle under the state control.
The Gothic and Renaissance castle Horšovský Týn is valuable thanks to the fact that it has never been largely rebuilt after the reconstruction in the 16th century; therefore the Renaissance exterior has been preserved up today. There were only small changes during the last reconstruction in the 19th century.
In 1996, the whole complex was declared a national cultural heritage for its enormous historical value. Not only the castle belongs to the complex but also the burgravery palace and almost fourty-hectare park with an observation tower Gloriet, Loreto Chapel and Summer House. Today the castle is one of the most opened castles to the public in the Czech Republic: during the high season, there are four tours offered to the public with the total time about 4 hours.